Monday, January 18, 2010

visiting Insulin shock once again, damnit

It is something around 5AM and I am sitting here typing because I can't be in bed right now.
The Footless Man  damn his eyes and bless his soul, is in insulin shock again.  After twenty years of sleeping next to him I am so attuned that sometimes I wake him up just before he goes into the depths, feed him a couple glucose and go back to sleep. 
This is not one of those.  He managed to make the trip all the way down into unresponsiveness before his breathing and twitching woke me up.  Depending on what kind of brain feed he has going when he goes in he can be a serious pain in the tuchus while he is there.  Today isn't all that bad because he is relatively cooperative, and mercifully he isn't conversational.    When I say cooperative I mean, I put a glucose tab in his mouth and he eats it without arguing, asking me what it is, turning his head, or chewing it up and spitting it out.  The EMT's think I should be using glucose gel.   I think that if they think it is such a good idea they should try to get it in him.  I suppose that I should taste it to see what it is like.  He says that it tastes a bit like piss.  I mostly trust his judgement on this although you never know.  
Most Glucose tabs are pretty awful, and the orange ones reach a pinnacle of horrible that is hard to believe.  Dex 4 makes the best tasting ones and they seem to have come up with a formula that cuts the god awful cloying sweetness, and makes them easier to get down.  The Strawberry and cream ones are actually pretty tasty.
I have a fair bit of resentment about being jerked out of sleep with what is quite frankly an annoying medical emergency that won't go away unless dealt with promptly. It reminds me a bit of having your period start in the middle of the night.  You absolutely have to get it dealt with fast because the consequences are too horrible to let go. I realize that this is essentially unfair.  At the same time I also realize that His experience of Insulin shock is a period of blank with feeling like genuine crap for a while after, plus the humiliation of meeting the EMT's in embarrassing clothes and all too often in the bathroom.  It is the people around him that have the actual experience of the emergency and I find as I am getting older that it can be profoundly isolating and painful.
I used to think that it was carelessness on his part, but as I have watched and learned I now understand that  it is not.  Diabetes is unpredictable and after 69 years, he can't always tell what the results of his eating, insulin and activity will be.  Meantime sometimes I am up early waiting to get back to bed when his blood sugar levels come up.
If you are wondering why I didn't call in 911, it is because he was cooperating and eating the glucose, so I knew he would be OK.  I call 911 when his insulin addled brain makes it impossible to get him taken care of. I have too much to do today to want to pull three to five hours into dealing with EMT plus emergency room along with everything else when it isn't needed. He is doing fine now, his sugar levels are up where they should be.  I am going to get on with my day.
addendnum @ 7:29 Pm 
I came home from seeing a client @630 this evening  and found the Footless man on the floor in the throes.  He is off in the ER.  I am in here bitching.

No comments: