Saturday, January 16, 2010

Seeing things clearly again.

I have worn glasses for thirty five or more years, since I was sixteen in fact. I am pretty nearsighted.  My glasses go on first thing in the morning and come off when I go to bed.   In general I love them.   The last time I got my eyes checked was in 2000 or 2001 so when the tell tale markers of needing to get my glasses tweaked showed up  I kind of figured that I was about due.
 I began looking at frames and saving up for the expense knowing that I was looking at several hundred dollars with the exam, frames, and lenses.  I had heard from friends that bifocals are more expensive than single vision and I knew that bifocals were in my future. I am getting tired of losing my glasses on top of my head when I take them off to correct my knitting.I suppose that I shouldn't fuss too much, at my age I am lucky that I am not holding the paper out at arm's length to read it.
I hate looking for new frames.  I can't see without my glasses unless I get really close to the mirror, and when I do my mom seems to be peering out at me.  I love my mom, and I think she is beautiful, at the same time she shouldn't be in the mirror checking out my glasses frames. 
The Opthomoligist  talked to me about the type of bifocal I should have, and suggested progressive lenses.  I said no.  When he asked why I wanted the line kind,  I told him that I had some brain damage. He quickly said Ok, you are right, no progressive lenses. 
He tells me that he gives vision therapy  to people with strokes, whiplash, concussions and other brain injurys.  He said that with a brain injury, you can't focus on your central vision because the peripheral vision keeps distracting your brain. This  is what gives me the impression that things (Like the car in the next lane) are heading towards me and are going to crash into me.  It is very tiring.  He described grocery store aisles as being very problematic, and I finally understand why I can't wear sunglasses, at least not the grey or green kind.  They make the side vision worse.   Progressive bifocals take that  and make it about a hundred times worse.   No thank you.
It is good to know that there is a reason for my flinching at the car in the lane over, and why I come out of a grocery store exausted. 
I am releived that I won't have to try to get used to something I can't handle, and that the professional agrees that I don't have to try.
New Glasses in two weeks.  My eyes will be thrilled.  

No comments: