Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tiny canvas

I got to have a grand talk with Thursday's  Child.  Thursday's Child is my unofficial third child, the Swordsmans best friend.  When I am  struggling to come up with visual images for my card deck I like to talk to him.  He has helped me rethink and re-imagine some of the cards. 
That got me to thinking about the cards in general and kind of how and why these ones exist . 
There are many many tarot card decks out in the world.  People use them to "read" or tell fortunes in all kinds of ways.  There are a lot of reasons that this works.  It has to do with how our brains process symbols and patterns, and find meaning in them. My personal take on Tarot is that I just didn't connect with the images and the symbols  that they presented.

I developed  this deck over the last fifteen years and continue to work with it regularly.  I have retired some of the cards, re imaged others and some are the  very first images and my first drawing style.  They are pretty rough, those first cards.  We are talking small canvas.  They sit 2.5 by 3 inches and the style has gone from pen and ink black and white to water colour  plus pen and ink.
I have a number of feelings about my mini brush work and drawings including some that  are a bit disapointed .  I want to be able to do noble inspiring work that helps people when they look at it. 
What do I come up with? tiny quirky pictures of the human condition that  cause people  to sit and laugh at themselves  while viewing them.
 I just don't do noble.  It comes out quirky every time.  The pictures are two of the originals and two re-images. 


No comments: