Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Thursday's Child

This is Thursday's child. 
He is the Swordsman's best friend.  He comes from tough beginnings and has challenges that could be daunting without his particular combination of grit, intelligence and artistic imagination.
Thursday's Child came into our lives when he came home with the Swordsman, who simply informed me that "He needs to talk to you mom." 
He did, and I did, and over time I came to think very highly of him. 
Thursdays child is much quieter than either of my sprats, who have the ability to be quite outrageous in a performance artist sort of way. Both the Earstwhile child and the Swordsman play to the audience with theater and aplomb, Thursday's child takes an observer stand and watches.

 When the Swordsman decided to play ninja at the high school, Thursday's child was the slightly taken aback audience. 
At the ComiCon he watched and observed and learned and thought, while The Swordsman and the Earstwhile child interacted and performed.
He moves at a much slower pace than you average young man , choosing his time and making his choices  slowly because he has some health problems that can throw up roadblocks.   He is in college now, and headed for a computer career he thinks, Plenty of time to re-think as he gets further along. 
Thursday's child's family comes from so far outside normal  that He thinks of me and my family as so normal  that they are  staid and somewhat stuffy.  I have never felt so conventional as when talking with him about the process of daily living.  I have never felt more uncool and June Cleaverish.
Once he was trying to explain his dad to me. 
He said, " Have you ever been on the bus, and sitting in the last open seat, looking forward to a quiet ride with the seat to yourself?  Then a guy gets on.  He is fat, and a little smelly, and not too clean, and then he sits in the seat next to you and he is just WAY too friendly. Well, My dad is the Fat Man On The Bus."
Ok.  Good to know.
I didn't teach him to knit.  He doesn't want to know.  I did show him that knitting can be much cooler and more art oriented than he had ever imagined. 
He is a good guy going places in his own inimitable way.

No comments: