Sunday, February 28, 2010

Brain reformatting update

I am about halfway through the reformatting process of being able to type on my rearranged keyboard with speed and strength. This means that if I get on a qwerty keyboard I can't type very well on it either.  The brain pain is beginning to go away so I hope that pretty soon things will begin to fall into place and I will eventually emerge with both keyboards functional under my fingers.
If you want to try some simple brain expander try these:
Fold your arms across your chest.  now fold them in mirror image.  Do it until both are comfortable
Lace your fingers together.  Shift them so the other thumb is on top.
draw a picture with your non dominant hand.  Repeat often.
draw a picture looking only in a mirror
brush your teeth with your non dominant hand.
knit in reverse using the opposite hands and going the opposite direction.
Feels really really awkward doesn't it?
Here is the secret: this is how small children feel as they are learning everything all the time.  It takes years to wear those patterns into the brain so that we forget what it was like at first.
I do some of this regularly to remember that learning something new is hard.  It takes time, patience persistence and many many repetitions to be able to do it correctly.
I hope I never stop learning new things and new ways to do the same old ones that I love.

No comments: