Friday, March 12, 2010

Sock yarn, the knitters crapshoot

I really love the variegated sock yarns.  I especially love the ones that make a pattern as you knit.  They provide a great amount of entertainment and mostly glorious socks.  I like the dyed skeins that make strange stripes and color puddles too.   I love the element of surprise in seeing what happens when you take a yarn with blops of color of several kinds and when you knit it up there you have a really cool pattern.

 These are mom's feet encased in the socks I made for her.  The yarn ball looked a bit odd and it came out lovely.
However.  Some yarns look  great as a skein and then go patooey as a sock.  Some yarns look like a car crash in the ball and knit up absolutely stunningly.  Then some yarns are as ugly as a sock as the skein promised.
these here are the unnervingly ugly socks I have been working to finish.
the picture looks better than the real thing.
It was a case of  a skein that made up as just as much mess as it promised.  They go to someone who loves them, as do the leftovers.
I just wound out two balls from a skein and will be casting on some socks for me.  What will they look like?  I don't know.  It's going to be a surprise.  The Footless man thinks that I am nuts knitting up yarn and not knowing what I will get.  I think that's part of the fun.  Anyway I know it will be a sock.

No comments: