Wednesday, March 31, 2010

So what's it all about, really?

I keep wondering about what the hell I am doing as a holistic practitioner.  It isn't a career that I chose, it chose me.  After thirty years practice and a long hard struggle I find myself with a reasonable and legitimate practice, and yet I feel under used and frustrated.  I also feel pulled between two poles of responsibility.  Some of the questions that I ask myself  have to do with my priorities.  Over the last years as the boys grew up and found their wings I have been working hard to put all my vocational ducks in a row. I worked very hard to get the certifications and training that helps to legitimize the work I do.
I have been blessed with incredibly talented mentors and teachers over the years including the infinite and constant support of The Footless Man.  That in itself outlines one of the places that I linger and feel unable to move forward.  How do I best serve and partner this man who chose a back seat for his talents to give me the best use of the resources for my training?  My work now leaves him at home and me elsewhere, out gathering the respect and doing the hands on healing processes.  I feel very torn,  For much of our lives together The Footless man's well being was my second priority after the boys.
This served both of us well,  He is alive and reasonably healthy considering his age and seventy years of Diabetes. Part of why he has done so well is that care and attention. 
I find myself wondering.  I cannot stop being who I am and doing the work I do, My home days are drawing to an end.  What is the elegant solution for him?
My friend Sherry tells me that I have a problem with expectation.  I keep expecting my work to match something in my head, and it doesn't so I am frustrated.  I can see that.  Sherry has a lot of experience with process looking different than what you expect.  I am doing my best to let go and let it be what it is.
Meantime I would like to have enough clients to pay the bills, For the  Footless man to be safe and for the cat to stop peeing on the basement bathroom floor.   I figure that two of the three are possible, I just don't see quite how.

No comments: