Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I told you it's poison

Bell Pepper.  Especially green bell pepper.  I have an aversion that is hard to imagine if you haven't seen it in action.  Mom thought at first that I was just fussy, that I should get over it and that if she minced it up small enough I wouldn't notice.  I had a mighty nose for it.  I could walk in to the house and take one sniff,  And I knew. "You are cooking with bell pepper I would say, and she would exclaim, "how did you know?"  From my end, The smell was so awful, so nauseating and penetrating that I couldn't get it past my nose or near my nose to put it into my mouth.
Over the years I have avoided and refused to eat any restaurant dish, altered recipes and questioned waitresses to be able to have my food bell pepper free.  It is amazing to me how many menus say mixed vegetables and they mean bell pepper.
And then I encountered a restaurant that made a spaghetti dish with roasted Red Bell Peppers. I not only could tolerate the smell, it actually tasted good!  I actually slurped them down and looked for more.  Astounding. 
Well I did prove something to myself.  Bell Pepper causes a full fledged fibromyalgia inflammation that hits every joint and tendon in my body and lingers for days.
See? I told you that stuff was poison.

No comments: