Sunday, May 23, 2010

Presenting: summer knitting pants

Most of my creative work comes out in the form of either knitting or my tiny canvas cards.  Over the last several weeks something has been simmering.  It began to surface when a new fabric store opened up  in old town.  They have really neat and unusual fabric, with a different feel to it.
Add to this, summer is coming, and I am not entirely happy with my summer pants.  Add to that a pair of cargo pockets in a pair of the Footless Man's pants that I appropriated during the worst of the cold last January.  I fell in love with the pockets.   I fell in love with being able to stuff my present sock in progress in a pocket and knit on it so very easily.  I miss the pockets when I wear other pants.
What all these things added up to was a major pant revision to my old baggy summer capri length jeans (Made by whacking off the legs of pants bought at goodwill and the like.) Subtracting baggyness  from the leg, adding fabric lining to the hem edge and making them cuffable.

Then comes the genius stroke.  Lined cargo pockets, placed so that the contents don't spill out when you sit, and so that you don't have stuff digging into your leg.
The pockets have gussets of the lining material so that stuffing things in lets the hidden material peek out.
(click on the pictures to embiggen them)
I was test driving them yesterday and took them apart for further revision.
I have been test driving the revisions today.  Alas, alackaday! I have to take the right pocket off once more.  It is close to perfect in every way.... except that it is two inches lower than the left one.
 Photo's were taken by the Footless Man.
He has not been feeling well for the last three days.  This morning I saw a huge bruise on his chest.  I pestered him until he told me how he got it.  This is one of those pieces of information that you would think would be obvious, and apparently it isn't.
Public service announcement: 
If you don't have feet, don't stand up without your prosthetic legs.
That will be all.

No comments: