Saturday, August 4, 2012

Getting to here from there

It has been a long week.  A really long week.
At the end of it I am not sure where I am but it looks a bit like this.  It looks like Lucile my loyal truck needs to find another home as soon as I can find other transportation.
Lucille has been the most loyal and reliable transportation you could imagine.  She starts in below zero weather and in hundred and above. She goes without protest or problem and has been comfortable and easy to drive.
Right at the present moment she is in as good shape as she has ever been.   Last Sunday she didn't start.  I knew that she was working on a low battery and I even had one ready to put in. (I didn't know it but it was dead as a door nail but that wasn't known then)  I assumed that the battery had bit the dust not to worry, I can put a battery in, have done many times before, I'm competent aren't I?  So it started.
 Mr. Footless thought that Maybe I was out of gas.  Would you think that in all his fantastic pile of good stuff there was a gas can?  There was.  Did it have a spout?  none of them did.  I got a new gas can and added gas.  no start.  That's Sunday.
  Monday.   Battery is dead from cranking engine. Charge battery? Nope, tried that twice.
  Tuesday. OK put new battery in, try again.  Can't get bracket that holds old battery down undone.  New Battery is dead too.
 Meanwhile my schedule runs: Get up at 4 AM  leave by 5 AM get five miles across town for prayers and orientation finish by 9:15 get to office two miles away by 10 Am see clients until somewhere around five or seven at night come home and check in with Mr Footless.  Do something to get truck up and running, go to bed, rinse and repeat. 
How am I making it across town and back in a timely manner?  My dear sweet bicycle.  Every day.  Fifteen miles altogether.  My legs hate me. So does my behind. 
Wednesday.  call mechanic.  who does he recommend to tow poor Lucille in to his expert ministrations?
Got name. get home very late  Mr Footless doesn't want truck towed; it costs too much money and he can fix her, right? if you would just cooperate we can do this.
Thursday. call tow truck and set time for about noon because I have put a big gap in my client schedule to deal with this. See first client, pedal home. Tell Mr Footless that the tow truck is coming.  Listen to protests.
go meet tow truck and see Lucille off. Pedal back to work and the rest of my clients.
Mechanic calls.  this is the diagnosis: Dead battery.  Dead Fuel Pump. can replace battery from Walmart but fuel pump will cost big bucks. 
Friday  Bite Bullet tell mechanic to go ahead, Make me broke.  pick up truck after work. runs better than it ever has. gas gauge is fixed. new mirror is on.  Starts sweet as you please.  The mechanic( bless his heart) took the dead battery to Walmart and got the new one so I didn't have to.
I am now going to the farmer's market to get fresh peaches.  I'm going to make a top crust peach pie and take it in to the mechanic on Monday.
I'm incredibly tired. my behind hates me.  I lost five pounds.
why do I need to get other transport? after all the problem is fixed and I have her back don't I?
well, really what it comes down to is that I don't need a pick up, I need a car that gets better mileage and that Mr footless will not be tempted to fill with crap.  It needs to be one that Mr footless can get into or out of and that has many of Lucille's virtues. Starts like a champ, runs. air conditioning works, stops when told. relatively nimble and turns nicely.  has seat belts. I can see out the wind screen.  things like that.    as soon as I can see what I want, Lucille is for sale.  I will miss her terribly.

No comments: