Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lots of dull moments sandwitched in to some very sharp ones.

This has been one of those weeks where the predictable button has been switched off.  At the same time I can see that there is some logic in the cosmoses about it all.
My business is self owned.  This means that how it goes depends on how well I attend to many many details and that I have a boss that knows just what I am good for and how to tell me off .  That she is me doesn't help much. 
This week past I had a lot of scheduling by the element of Surprise.  This is  something I am only a little OK with.  I am OK when Surprise schedules more clients than I did, when unexpected good things show up on the radar, and in the end the list shows more good than bad in the event roster.
This was mostly it.
I had some truly grand and generous gifts including the loan of a carpet shampooer, and some unexpected money as well as my very favorite Sock yarn in quantity.
Then again The Footless Man showed strange symptoms and ended up in the Emergency room Sunday and then again Monday morning with an 18 blood sugar.  People canceled and rescheduled appointments unexpectedly.   Some of what I do is showing wonderful results that don't have a straight line of reasoning to them.  Not a logical A to B to C process at all.
At the same time I have been dealing with Black Michael
who is not all that interested in making it down the stairs to use the potty and the attendant mess in the computer room upstairs (hence the lovely loan of the carpet shampooer) The day that got clients canceled out ended up as the day that I worked on the carpet.
It all makes sense,  It just makes building a budget and trusting that my income will cover all the bases unpredictable.
I understand why people like the idea of doing work with a steady set of hours and a steady paycheck, it's one less set of things that you have to think about.  You know that this week you do x amount of work for x amount of dollars, and next week and the week after that.
In my working life this has been the rarity.  If I look at it all I have never had typical anything in my work.  At least at present my working hours are mostly in the day and I can get enough hours that pay well to cover the bills, look after my Husband and cope with my needs.
That's not bad.  Not bad at all.

No comments: