Thursday, July 22, 2010

Progress, not perfection

I am putting this up between a client this morning and one on my late schedule this afternoon.
The Footless Man is not having a nice week.  Yesterday he was cleaning up branches on the side of the house, and fell a foul of a nest of yellow jackets who had taken up residence in the trash can.  Four stings and his fastest gallop into the house later he was heavily coated with baking soda paste.  Baking soda water paste neutralizes the venom in the sting, they were minor bumps about an hour later.
He is still struggling with having the hoard disturbed and the intense anxiety that provides, so he had another trip into emergency room land.  I do my best not to get upset and angry, he isn't doing this to upset me.  All the same it can't help but be stressful.
I have been trying to offset some of the stress with exercise, (Commuting by bike) and had a reward on my way home this afternoon.
I spotted a crane on the bank of the Poudre River standing still as a sculpture.  I stopped to watch, and saw him wade out, dive and come up with a six inch trout.  He took it onto the bank, inspected it and moved around to the tail. Then in three sinuous gulps he slid the whole thing down his throat and into his gullet.  I could see the fish shape slide through the feathery tube and into his belly.
With the show over I went on.  You can bet that I am going to be checking that bank to see if he is there this afternoon.  Maybe I can get a photo.

No comments: