Wednesday, February 12, 2014

In praise of steam, steam mops and cleanliness.

Due to the distressing circumstances that the house was in for the last bit of time it is to put it mildly, a pit. An ugly really grotty pit at that.
There was absolutely nothing that wasn't gritty, grimy and crud covered from one end of the place to the other. Even after some heavy duty scrubbing  on some sections there is a lot of this place that is grossly dirty. I have never been all that concerned with the process of getting things clean. In fact I have found that for some reason cleaning was something that I did when I was angry. I thought that  cleaning made me angry, and then I thought that I was using anger to clear my head so that I could get things clean.  It turns out that none of this is true.
I find that actually I like cleaning things when  they stay that way for a reasonable length  of time, it actually calms me and leaves me feeling happy.  That really surprises me, Who would have guessed that?
Over time I have had some conversations with My Stepdaughter Who Will Be the Death of Me Someday. She has her difficulties but she is hell on wheels when it comes to cleaning. I think that it is a backlash from living with Mr Footless who was profoundly uncomfortable with clean. ( Thus the condition of  the house)
She sang the praises of her steam mop and how much grime came up without having to use  cleaners and how easy it was to get the floors done up with minimal scrubbing.  I borrowed one.  Then I bought one. It is everything she said it would be.
As someone who is removing carpet and laying laminate from one end of the house to the other and who is entirely grossed out by the incredible amount of dirt that is in said carpet, I need something to take care of a lot of floor.
At present I have been trying to figure out how to use Stanley the clothes steamer to do things that the mop doesn't, like the tile in the shower, and the walls and the stove top. I think that what I am missing is some rubber bands to tie down the towel to the steam head. I am stunned at how much crud migrated to the towel while wiping the steam over the wall that I chose to try this out on.  Mind you  I had washed the wall not too long ago with soap and water and gotten  a layer of dirt off. I can see that I have some of the kind of experimentation that I find the most fun, how do I get this to work?

No comments: