Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's a bird, it's a plane, Its super mommy!

Today I have managed to fumble three major parts of my life.
I set out from home to meet a client.  Being the kind of person I am that means that I am on bicycle neatly dressed in my office mufti.  I have a whole quarter tank of gas left in Edith and I want to see if I can make it last until Halloween.  Halfway in to town My phone rings and Ms client informs me that she has the flu and in not able to meet me and give it to me.  I should be grateful.  I don't need the Flu.  I do however miss the session fee that she didn't pay me last time and the one she was going to pay me on top of that today. 
So here I was with a morning planned out and no place to go (no money coming in either)  I called a friend and re routed myself in to have tea and a cookie with her.  That was nice, I stopped and picked up supplies and did my bank errands. 
I got home about when I said I was going to, to find that the Ambulance is in front of my house.  This is never a good sign.  This tells me, " Kiss whatever you thought you were going to do with your afternoon goodbye.  Your afternoon is now scheduled with Emergency room"   Thing was, I wasn't really involved with that either.  The Swordsman had called them in and was helping the ambulance guys, who were short the critical extra guy who keeps things calm and sits on the struggling patient while they do the important parts.
All I did was pack the comfort bag and wave goodbye.
After the dust settled, After I picked up the footless man, I needed to have a nap.  I just got nicely groggy when the Erstwhile Child calls.
Erstwhile Child pretty much takes care of his life himself.  He does a fairly good job of it too.  So if he is calling for help, he has a problem that is larger than his coping skills and outside his experience. 
His car's clutch has died and would I be able to help him get it to a safe haven?  Well, I could, except that if I did, I would be getting up tomorrow at 4:30 after getting to bed at 2.  If I were in my late thirties I might even do it.  As it is I am too damn old to pull an all nighter.  After further questions, it turns out that all he needs to do is pay a moderate parking fee and his car is able to spend the night where she is, quite well and very safely.
So there you have it.  Three ways that I did not go to the rescue, save the day or earn my way in the world, all in one day.
Over all I feel pretty good about it.  I do miss the money though.

No comments: