Saturday, April 24, 2010

Ok so what is it?

The Footless Man has struck again.

The food bank had a lot of these. 
they were being loaded in the freezer section and he brought some home. 
There is no label.
there are no " Serving Suggestions" or cooking instructions, just this enigmatic bundle of square sheets, wheat in content, roof shingle in texture.
  I am a veteran of many food bank" what the hell is this?" sessions.  I have encountered many new and strange foodstuffs and discovered some that I will grab in a heartbeat if I see them, (clementines) and others that I will give a wide berth to (chayote).
So far these seem to be some sort of whole grain rectangles abut 1/16 inch thick, fairly flexible, not very tasty.
You can fold them up and jam them in a toaster.  Warming them doesn't improve the taste.  They are too flimsy to resole a shoe, but I imagine the taste is similar.
Baking them crisps them, and makes them a bit better,  what else might make them palatable?
At present I am considering them as a form of pre-cracker.
The footless man has his instructions: avoid these from now on.

1 comment:

Mountain Mama said...

They might be some sort of middle eastern/indian flat bread. Try cooking them on a skillet like a tortilla. You might also try deep fat frying them.

Butter and cinnamon sugar might help.