Wednesday, November 2, 2011

in which I consider whacking Mr Footless upside the head

Mr Footless Man has a number of things that I admire.  He is gentle, compassionate and he never teases me on a sore point.  He has among his more interesting qualities the ability to persist.  He doesn't back up any better than a pig, and he will apply himself to a problem and come to some sort of resolution by sheer stubborn bull hardheadedness. 
The fact that he has survived in as good health as he has is a tribute to his participation in his own care.  He put the pro in proactive back when MD meant Minor Deity (and the patient was supposed to do what the doctor said and no argument) and has participated in his care mostly to his better health and sometimes to his detriment.
After an intensive class and a week of studying the manuals, Mr Footless decided to begin using the insulin pump.  The first thing he told me was that he wanted to reprogram the basal dose and approximately double it.
I refrained from screaming (you have no idea how this is going to affect you and you want to fiddle with the numbers because you think they are wrong???? )and suggested through clenched teeth that he not mess with the programs until he had been on the pump for at least 48 hours.
  He grumphed but did as I suggested.  Good thing too.  Twelve hours in and I am pretty sure that he may need the base dose dialed back a bit.  It looks good so far.  His blood sugars are within reason and he seems to be getting the idea of letting the machine do the thinking.
I will be checking on him in a minute before I head in to bed.  it has been a long day.

No comments: